Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Playing with $50,000

Or maybe I should say 'on' $50,000. This Saturday we went to Plaza Las Americas again, and of course I was forced to wander into the piano store that has been there since Christmas. Last time I went they had about half as many pianos, and I was hesitant to ask to play one since there is no chance of me even thinking about buying one. This time I was walking around looking at the new pianos, when the people running the store asked if they could help. I told them I was just looking, that I'd never be able to afford one of the pianos in the store. I also told them I was a piano teacher in the area. They were very kind even though they knew I wasn't going to buy, and they said if I needed any help to ask. I was about to leave, when Janelle (one of the college girls) asked if we could play one of the pianos. We were told "Of course! Whichever one you want!) I walked around the store looking, and stopped for a minute at a Yamaha 7' 6" concert grand, since my church in Georgia used to have something similar to it. I was going to choose probably a Boston piano since I've never played one of those, but when I stopped at the Yamaha, they brought the bench over for me to sit on and play. Then I looked at the price. I would have to pick the most expensive piano in the store! Almost $50,000! My dad says that's about what his first house cost, and at that price it'd better be a two-bedroom piano. I sat down and decided to play the arrangement of MADRID (Mr. Coleman, see what I learned in hymnology?), the tune that we usually sing with the text "Come, Christians, Join to Sing," that was the first piece on my sr recital. It was an easy choice, since it's the only one that I can play memorized without prior practice. The piano played beautifully, especially the lower ranges. I enjoyed every minute of it, and thanked the store people profusely when I was finished. They said, "No, thank you!" I think they enjoyed the extra people walking in the store and standing outside the window. I must say that was slightly unnerving to me, though. Maybe next time, after I've practiced Malaguena, I'll go back. I would love to play that piece on one of those pianos, only a big piano can really do justice to it. That was my weekend adventure.
This week has been fairly uneventful, but nice, especially since I finally got my new schedule worked out. This means no glaring 3 hour gaps without lessons, and about 6 fewer lessons after school. It also means that I have time to coach soccer which I know hardly anything about (I know the rules, but not much about how to instruct). I met my team yesterday and we start games next week. The sports program is intramural, and I have girls from 4th, 5th, and 6th grade. Only 3 or 4 of them have ever played before, so this could be interesting. I have decided, though, that I don't mind being called coach, even though I hate being called teacher.

3 comments:

Corene said...

What a suprise to have you write on my blog.
Wow! That must have been something to play that piano. By the way Malaguena is special to me because when Jesse and I were dating he practiced that in order to play it for me.

Corene said...

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that I also coached soccer this summer. I had 4 and 5 year olds. Quite a different from the older kids.

sarah said...

Yeah, the piano was awesome, hopefully soon I'll go back to that store. I finally got a picture to post of the type of piano-it wasn't that specific piano in the picture, but the same model. Soccer has been interesting so far, we have our first game tomorrow.