Wednesday, September 21, 2005

First grade fun


I love teaching piano to first graders. They are so funny! Alejandro reminds me of Chris Bagwell. Anyway, today Alejandro was wiggling around as usual, although he refrained from the usual cartwheels today. I asked him if he was going to be a gymnast someday. He said, "No, I'm going to be a missionary."
"Really? Where are you going to go?"
"Alaska."
"Why Alaska?"
"Because they have snow. I've never seen snow before."
Later on in the conversation, I asked him what he thought missionaries do. His response? "tell the gospel and ask for money."
I had to bite my lip really hard to keep from laughing at him. His mom enjoyed hearing about it when I told her.
I'm still working on unpacking some of my things. I'm really making progress, but not finished yet. Saturday, Priscilla and I had an adventure at the bank. We both needed to cash checks. Normally we go to the branch of our bank that's in the mall, and there are a couple of employees there who speak English. I do speak and understand Spanish, but some of the highly specific words you need to know in a bank and other such places I don't always know, and the bank is one place that I'm not necessarily willing to experiment on. The branch we went to on Saturday didn't have any workers that spoke English, but thankfully there was a man in line who spoke English who was able to help. When he started talking, I understood what he said, but I wouldn't have known how to say it myself. The thing that made me laugh about the whole situation was something the man said while we were talking. We had a conversation about how I'm trying to learn Spanish, and he was telling me I need to practice. I was enjoying using Spanish with him, but I just had to laugh when this man who was fluent in English says "Como se dice 'te amo' en ingles?" I knew exactly what he was trying to get me to do, and I wasn't about to do it. At least now I know some of the vocab I need for the bank.
At this present moment I am violin-less. I have not played my violin for almost 3 weeks. 3 weeks ago a small piece broke off of the tailpiece. I've never had any problems with it before, never had to do anything to it, so it really scared me when I opened the case and saw strings pointing every which direction. I figured out what was wrong, and spoke with a few people about repair places. Several people mentioned the music store in the mall, but there's something that makes me a little nervous about taking my violin to a store that mostly deals in drums and electric guitars. So I started to pray that I would be able to find someone who could fix the violin and fix it right. I was also praying that I could understand what was going on whether it was understanding the Spanish, or finding someone to help me understand. A week ago Sunday, Mrs. Santana (one of the ladies in the church here) asked me why I wasn't playing in the orchestra. When I told her my violin was broken, she mentioned that she might be able to find a place to get it fixed. Finally it worked out that her brother knows someone that does violins, and she was able to take my violin to this person, who apparently comes highly recommended. The Lord answered my prayers through an avenue I hadn't even thought of. I don't have the violin back yet, but she is supposed to bring it to me soon. God has been so good to me!

No comments: