Friday, September 23, 2005

It's Friday!

Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but weekends usually mean sleep, fun, church, fellowship, more church, and maybe even some more sleep thrown in. And this Friday is payday. =) This weekend we're going to Plaza Las Americas, the big "American" mall closer to San Juan. Shopping has never been my favorite thing to do, but this is a really nice mall. I think my favorite part is the 2-floor Borders. Any books and music store that big is really dangerous. I could spend my life's savings, if I had one, at Borders. There's also a JCPenney's with 4 floors, multiple fountains, which I love, and right next door a freestanding Kmart that's the biggest one I've ever seen. Kmart with an escalator. It's a little strange, but nice. They also have pretty good pina coladas there for a halfway decent price. There's 5 of us teachers going, and it's going to be a lot of fun going anywhere with the group we've got.
This week has been pretty uneventful, unless you count the electricity going off this morning about 2 or 3. I woke up because my fan shut off at some point in the night, and I was starting to get really warm. So that made life interesting this morning, but we made it to school on time anyway.
Today I'm trying to finish the purchase order form for my piano books. It's crazy trying to order books and flashcards for 42 students of varying age and skill levels. It's been quite adventurous searching the internet trying to find ISBN numbers so that we get exactly what we want. That's why I'm actually sitting at a computer this early in the morning. Once we get books for everyone, lessons will be a lot easier.
As I'm sitting here in what will become the new library once everything gets set up, I'm listening to Mrs Rios teaching a 4th grader to read in English, and I'm reminded once again to pray for these children, especially the new students. It's got to be rough being thrown not only into a new classroom with new teachers and classmates, but also having everything done in a language you don't understand. They'll catch on quickly, but right now it's still really hard.
Almost forgot! I thought I'd post a link to the school newsletter since there's an article that I appear in. Enjoy
http://calvarypr.org/data/Crusader/

No comments: