Sunday, August 28, 2011

Back to School

For the first time in 6 years, I'm a student! No, not in Puerto Rico. I know, the blog title is "Notes from Puerto Rico." I haven't figured out anything inspiring to change it to yet, so you're stuck with the current title. Any suggestions are welcome-though I'm not sure I want to eliminate PR from the title......the island and the people are still a huge part of who I am.
One weird thing is that I'm in a room by myself. I was supposed to have a roommate, but she decided to live off campus. So, the good news is, I've got lots of space and lots of quiet. The bad news is also lots of quiet which is rather boring before classes start. Oh well. I KNOW I will appreciate it once the projects get going. Which is soon, since classes started today. I think I'm going to like all my classes-I've still got 2 left that I haven't had yet, but I know those will be good too.
It has been quite a week for me-sooooo many mixed emotions. I am really excited to be back, but at the same time I miss my friends and students from PR-you can't spend 6 years with people and not have them embedded in your heart. I also had the uncommon privilege of working with the same students every year, so I really got to know them. I miss speaking Spanish as well, but I am attending a Spanish church, which I love.
I have also experienced moments of terror-as in, "What in the world was I thinking? I can't do this, I've been gone too long!" But you know, that's one of the things God is working on me about-I tend to have a lot of fears and worries, and he's put me in a place where I have some different fears and worries than I've had lately, and I'm being forced to deal with it.
And overall, I'm thrilled to be here! It seems to me that the Lord has repeatedly confirmed in my heart that this is where I'm supposed to be right now. I have been completely enjoying chapel-the music, the preaching, everything-like I didn't appreciate it the first time around. I think this could be a really profitable time for me spiritually. I have already noticed the difference in my own heart, and I'm really excited about what the Lord is going to do. I've enjoyed seeing old friends, visiting churches that I love, and seeing former teachers who I also love. It's been so much fun to be a floor or two above friends I haven't seen much if at all for the last 6 years. I've caught myself often just marveling at the fact that I'm really here! It's kinda weird because everything is so familiar, but it's been sooo long. It's also been neat to see how God has just put everything in place-details for my health form (that was difficult to take care of with no insurance), little things that I needed (a drying rack and car shade for a dollar each at a garage sale), BIG things that I needed (like a car), and since I've been here, taking care of books for less than my goal of $100, putting me between Spanish speakers in chapel, and so much more. It's just been so neat to see His working in my life. It's not been an easy thing to pull up roots and move, even to a place that I've been before, but it's the right thing (following God's leading always is), I'm happy to be here (though I do miss everyone) and I'm looking forward to what God has for me in the future.

Now, if all of that made sense, it will be a miracle! I told you-I have so many jumbled emotions right now. Well, that and it's so late at night that I should be in bed. But, I really wanted to share some of the things God is doing in my life. Thanks for listening!

No comments: