Friday, July 23, 2010

So I haven't been doing much these days, and it's been nice! I lost quite a bit of sleep the week before I came back to PR, and I think I've recovered mostly. I've been enjoying internet on the laptop, maybe a little too much. I've also been working on the blanket I'm making for Carla, and watching random tv shows. I also made my first venture into the world of warehouse shopping-if nothing else, the Sam's Club membership may pay for itself in cereal and cleaning supplies. A lot of bulk things I can't really use since I live by myself-duh! I think if I lived in the states I wouldn't even bother with a membership, but here it makes a difference.
Today I went out and got some tostones con ajo-fried plantain slices with garlic-which I seriously have been dreaming about since I left PR in June. They were sooooooo good! Now I can make the tostones at home, but I've got to figure out this garlic business.
Tomorrow I think I'll go to the pulguero (flea market)-I haven't been in months, maybe even over a year. Usually it's obnoxiously hot when I go, but hopefully since we've had all this rain, it will be tolerable.
Speaking of rain-I am loving the cool temperatures, but am dreading turning on the shower since my hot water is solar heated. Usually the hot temps here make a cold shower even desirable, but since I've been back(it's rained every day), I haven't even turned on the air conditioner (it's not working right now, but that's beside the point), and the past few nights I've even slept without fan because I was getting cold. Now how's that for strange-July in PR and no fan needed at night?? The other oddity has been that my washed dishes sit for a day or more in the drainer drying and they're still slightly damp. I am looking forward to the sun coming out so that I can walk around outside without being afraid I'm going to fall and kill myself. I can fall just fine on my own, even without the extra help of grimy stairs, and slippery tile where I park my car. However, like I said, the cool temperatures have been nice, and I'm sure I'll be even happier about it when I see my electric bill!

No comments: